Writing Books/Non profit writing

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.  
Although I love to write, I have never actively pursued a career in writing or formally attempted to be published.

Last year, I had a very special young friend that was ill with a very rare blood disease and he was hospitalized for the better part of a year.  During the Christmas season, he worried relentlessly as to whether Santa would be able to find him since he wasn't at home.  As usually happens prior to my writing, words started to roll around in my head and would NOT leave me alone until I got them down on paper.  I sent my friend the poem and his mother shared it with several people.  The chief doctor at the hospital ended up asking my permission to use it yearly, reading it to the children during the holidays. People from all over the community commented on the poem and how it touched them.  I tell you all this, not for accolades, but to lend merit to the worthiness of the poem.

Since last Christmas, my young friend passed away.  An idea has begun to form and I need help setting the wheels in motion...and that is where you come in!!  I would love to have the poem illustrated and published, but NOT FOR PROFIT.  I would like to have it distributed to children's hospitals all over the country to share hope with the families struggling.  The only recognition I would ask is to have a short blurb on who I am, to possibly open the door for future publishing opportunities.  

If you can give me any direction in this endeavor, I would really appreciate it.  If you don't have any ideas but can refer me to someone else, that would be fine also.

Again, thank you for your help!

Congratulations on pursuing your writing passion!  What you have achieved is commendable.

It sounds like you want to have a writing career.  I recommend that you try to land a literary agent. Organizations like Predators and Editors, Literary Market Place and Association of Author Representatives list reputable literary agents (all of these places have an Internet presence). You can find them by doing a search in the search engines.

You could also self-publish your book if you don't want to go through a mainstream publisher, get directories of hospitals, clinics and medical schools around the world and send marketing and promotion materials (i.e. fliers, postcards, blurbs from your book) to the hospitals, clinics and schools informing them about your book and that you will ship it free to medical facilities to benefit their clients/patients.  

Keep a record of everyone who agrees to accept your book so you build a database of customers for your next books.  It sounds like a great way to build an audience.  You might also find it beneficial to attend medical conferences, etc. where book buyers for medical facilities appear. Introduce yourself, talk about your book and get contact information from the people you speak with so you can keep in touch with them.

Whichever route you take, copyright your book thru the United States Copyright Office. You can also find them online.  

Wishing you the best!

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who