Writing Books/author acknowledgment

I am compiling 365 sayings to produce a motivational novelty book.  I need to know about acknowledging the original author after each saying.  Is there a law that requires acknowledgment or are the authors acknowledged out of respect?  I have limited space per page and would like to have an acknowledgment at the end of the book stating that the sayings are from radio interviews, books or myself.  Each author is used one time only and the sayings are 1 or 2 lines.
Thank you for your time in this matter.

Any time you quote someone without attribution, you run the risk of a plagiarism suit.  If you are culling these sayings from other published works, this is especially true.  Personally, I wouldn't run that risk.  It ALSO is a form of respect, and one that is deserved.  Put yourself in the position of being the author of a quote being used in someone else's book, and I think you'd agree.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.