Writing Books/publishing company salaries

Question
Hi. I recently asked you a question about becoming a book editor and I have a couple of other questions. Is editor-in-chief the highest position at a publishing company? Also, is it true that the average editor-in-chief salary at major publishing companies is $100,000 a year? Thanks

Answer
Hi, Danielle,

I'm afraid I wouldn't have any idea about salaries in NY. Those are closely held secrets and like any other company, each publisher likely pays a different package for their top editorial position. At some houses, it would be editor-in-chief. At other publishers, it might be Managing Editor or Associate Publisher that is the highest editorial position. I don't know where you might find that information, either. It's not generally reported openly.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck in your search.

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp