Writing Books/publishing company salaries

Hi. I recently asked you a question about becoming a book editor and I have a couple of other questions. Is editor-in-chief the highest position at a publishing company? Also, is it true that the average editor-in-chief salary at major publishing companies is $100,000 a year? Thanks

Hi, Danielle,

I'm afraid I wouldn't have any idea about salaries in NY. Those are closely held secrets and like any other company, each publisher likely pays a different package for their top editorial position. At some houses, it would be editor-in-chief. At other publishers, it might be Managing Editor or Associate Publisher that is the highest editorial position. I don't know where you might find that information, either. It's not generally reported openly.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck in your search.

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.