Writing Books/uneducated

i am writing a short story later to be turned into a movie script, and don't know the process of submitting my story or making sure it doesn't get stolen.  could you steer me in the right direction please.

Hi, Darren!

The process to protect your story is called "copyright." From the moment you put pen to paper or letters to screen, you're protected by U.S. copyright laws. However, you have to actually have written it to be protected. Copyright doesn't extend to ideas or planned plots, characters or story endings. The same laws will protect the screenplay, but only after it's written. Once the story is complete, you have the option of registering your copyright with the Library of Congress. The only real benefit of registering is to prove when the story was created for the purpose of suing someone (if they steal it and publish it and earn a profit from it.) I'd suggest you spend some time over at the Copyright Office's Frequently Asked Questions page. It's really useful information and is written in easy to understand terminology.

As for where to submit it, I don't know much at all about movie scripts, and where to submit the story would depend on what kind of story it is. Hope that helps!  Good luck.

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.