Writing Books/Novel Lengh

Question
I was writing a fiction novel about Internet;wrote until my story was done, and ended with about eight thousand words(8,000)
Then just one day before, I got the idea to google (Average Novel Lengh),and was shocked with the result: 80,000-120,000 words!
And said to myself:Oh my God! Have I writen a shorty story?

Then I fortunately came across The Allexperts.com,and  relieved by these words of Ms Susan Rand:(Let's talk a moment about word count as it involves the writer. The number of words used to finish the novel should be the exact number of words needed to tell the story, and not a single word more, or less. In other words, write your book and don't worry about whether it is too long or too short. That's for the publisher to decide.)

But yet I want to make sure and ask Ms Susan: Is that eight thousand well enough to make my first novel?Or too short means something more than that meagre number? Something like thirty, forty or fifty thousand words?

And remember please, I am a novice writer.

Thank you in advance for your great service.

Answer
Hello Ali:

According to this site http://www.fictionfactor.com/articles/wordcount.html, your writing project straddles the line between a short story and a novelette.

I am glad my words helped you, but a little explanation is needed. While it is true that you should use as many words as it takes to tell your story, there is a little more to it than that. First, take a good look at your material. Does it seem too short to you? Too long? If you have no opinion, consider the basic story itself: is your situation weighty enough to make a novel? Or is it simple enough to be told in a short story? Remember, a short story - generally speaking - involves a single dominant person and an epipany: a crucial moment in the person's life that changes everything for them. Of course there are many exceptions, but for a beginning writer, this is a good rule of thumb. The length of the average short story does not leave room for the development of other characters (or theme) as in the novel. The novelette falls somewhere in between.

If you can't decide this on your own, please contact me through my website http://pygmypress.com, and I will be glad to give you an opinion. I will need a short synopsis of your story: not more than one page (around 250 words).

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900 questions.

And thank you for writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand