Writing Books/Can a letter stand for a country name?

Question
Can a letter stand for a country name?
I am writing my novel about a very sensitive topic in a country where there is no freedom of expression.
To avoid direct blunting and of course risking, I am using   letters for the names of the countries I am fighting against in my novel, while telling the continent.
For example, K country in Asia  or S country in Africa.
Can you tell me ,please, is that ok or not for my novel?

Thank you for  the great service you do.  

Answer
Hi, Ali!

The nice thing about novels is that you can pretty much do whatever you want. The only trick will be in getting the reader to understand what you mean. There are plenty of novels out there that use only hints of the real location, so that could work for you. Or, you can make up a country name and place the action there. Then it would only be in your front letter to the reader where you tell the truth, or maybe just in your biography or in distribution advertising. You can do whatever you think of. It's all in how you tell the story! Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp