Writing Books/plagarism and short sayings

Hi Vincent,
Thank you for responding to a question I had last month regarding my novelty book of inspirational sayings.  The book is 365 sayings, each from a different author and only 1 or 2 lines in length.  I am still working out the detail of acknowledging the authors with each saying because my product size is small.  I wondered if I were to put an acknowledgement page at the end of the book stating the sayings were compiled from a variety sources including radio/TV interviews, books, and magazines if that would cover any plagiarism issue? Thank you for your time, Sharon

The source material is of much lesser importance than the source itself.  In other words, worry about naming the speaker of your quote, rather than where you read it.

If you look at most books of quotes out there, you won't find many that state where the quote came from, just the attribution of the person.

So I feel it's safe to say that your acknowledgment page is unnecessary, but you do need to name the person, and that should be done right there with the quote, e.g.:

"I am not a crook."
~ Richard M. Nixon  

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.