Writing Books/plagiarism and short sayings

Question
Hi Vincent,
I thank you for your response to my first question and in response I have another question. Since my product is very small I do not have the room to put a author's name on each page.  If I am correct, 1/2 line sayings are covered under copyright laws, so do I legally have to acknowledge the person from whom I originally read or heard the 1/2 line saying?  It is an issue of limited space and not disrespect on my part.  I thought if I acknowledge at the end of the book that the sayings are not my own, but a compiled work of sayings from varaious authors that it might cover any plagiarism worries.  Any thoughts?  Thanks again, Sharon

Answer
Okay, my thoughts:

1) If your space is so cramped that you can't put in the author attributions, you should perhaps rethink your layout.

2) If you are still adamant that you cannot do it, then I would suggest you consult an attorney familiar with publishing law regarding the "back of the book" bit.

3) If the attorney says you can do this, I'd strongly recommend putting it at the beginning of the book, rather than at the end.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales