Writing Books/A quick editing question

Question
Bobbie -

Greetings.  I'm in the final stages of editing a manuscript, and my editor and I have arrived at a (very minor)"grammatical impasse." I apologize in advance for the crude nature of the language.  

From a new novel where the protagonist has a very colorful vernacular, my question centers around a variation of the adjective, bad-ass, as in, "That's a bad-ass car." Specifically, he will often expand it to a more general, three-word phrase, as in, "That was bad-fucking-ass!" (in enthusiastic response to something). My question: should that three-word phrase be hyphenated?

Thanks so much for your time,
Bobby

Answer
Thank you for making me smile this morning!

Technically speaking, when all three words are used as an adjective to describe a noun (as in "That's a bad-fucking-ass car."), hyphens are correct. When the adjectives stand alone and do not refer to a noun, as in the example, "That was bad fucking ass," technically it would not be hyphenated. Written this way, however, the sentence could be misinterpreted, because it appears that the ass was bad. The purpose of punctuation is to add clarity to a sentence, so in the end, if you sense that something could be misinterpreted, it's time to rewrite it or punctuate it in a way that ensures clarity. If left to me, I'd rewrite it so the hyphens are used correctly, as in "That's a bad-fucking-ass car."

If you haven't subscribed to my free newsletter for writers, I hope you will do so. Go to www.zebraeditor.com and click on "Free newsletter."

Yours in writing,
Bobbie Christmas

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas