Writing Books/how do ypu get a book published?

Question
At the moment all I have, is an idea and the first few chapters to a story. After this I am completely baffled. How do you get a book edited and published. I completely lost. Thank you in advance.

Answer

Congrats on writing your book!  

As far as getting the book published, I encourage you to finish the book first.  You can locate editors and publishers by attending writer conferences listed in directories such as Writer's Market.  You can also contact editors and publishers directly.  Literary Market Place, Writer's Market and other directories list editors and publishers and the type of work they are looking for.

Some of these directories also include sample cover letters.  After you find an editor or publisher who works with the type of book you write, craft a cover letter to send to the editor or publisher.

I also encourage you to join professional writers' groups to have chapters of your manuscript critiqued.  Writers in these groups will offer valuable feedback on your manuscript and give you suggestions to tighten and improve your writing.

Keep in mind that many large publishers work with manuscripts that are submitted to them via an agent.  You can find agents in Writer's Market, Literary Market Place, writer's magazines, etc.

All the best!  

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell