Writing Books/memoir

Question
Dear Bobby,
  I have finally gotten my book in shape to approach agents. I have noticed that the submission requirements are different for fiction vs nonfiction.  I am writing my memoir. Although the stories are true, their order, characters, and dialog have been changed. There is no way I could remember a conversation from the 60’s. So do I treat my book as fiction or nonfiction? To me, if there is some fiction mixed in, then it must be considered fiction. Although I have seen some agencies websites list memoirs as nonfiction. Advice please. Thanks Dick Schlueter ()

Answer
Dear Dick:

In short, memoir is a nonfiction category. It is to be expected that some of the dialogue will be reconstructed, but the facts must be true, or you’ll get into trouble. As an example, James Frey’s alleged memoir, A Million Little Pieces, embellished his past to the point of making it fiction. His supposed past could not be corroborated by anyone else, and he got into serious trouble with the law, his publisher, and the public. A memoir should reconstruct the past as best you can personally remember it, but adding flair or misinformation takes it out of the memoir category and into fiction.

Memoirs don't have to unfold in chronological order, so organization of the material is up to you. Can you change the names to protect the guilty? Of course. Can you change the characters to make them more interesting? Maybe a smidgen, but not much.

Conventional wisdom (and publishers) would say this: Decide whether you want to use your personal experiences as a jumping board to write fiction or whether you want to write a memoir of your true personal experiences. Don’t mix the two.

Thank you for writing, and be sure to sign up for "The Writers Network News," my free newsletter for writers, to get tips, answers, marketing information and news of interest to writers. Go to http://www.zebraeditor.com/ and click on "Free Newsletter."

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas