Writing Books/Nonfiction - Using People's Names

Question
I am writing a non-fiction book - a biography of sorts about a family member.  I don't want to finish the project and then have him, or other people in the book, tell me I can't use their names.  Should I get them to sign releases of some kind now?  Can any of them, particularly the principal figure in my book, tell me I can't publish a book about their lives?

Answer
Hello Doug:

No one can tell you anything about your book at this stage (later on, your publisher might, of course). It is YOUR book, and only you can choose whether or not you will use this name or that name, this content or that, this location or another.

If you tell lies about people, you are asking for trouble; if you don't, you don't have to worry about releases.

Write your book as you want to write it, and don't worry what other people say.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1350 questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand