Writing Books/Well..

Question

I want to write a novel, but in it I want to mention a few characters from other pieces of writing. The creator of these characters is still alive. My questions are basically: Do I have to pay something to him to mention the characters; Is there a special way I need to cite them?; Can you tell me anything else I might need to do regarding this matter.

Any help with this at all will be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Mentioning characters in other works, real names, real companies, etc. is copyright infringement and illegal.

The only thing you can do is contact this author, (person) and ask him/her for their direct permission, in writing and notarized or better yet, through his/her attorney on the attorney's letterhead, for their direct permission to use said characters.

Usually if permission is given in writing for the use of names, etc., the original owner, person, whatever the case may be, will also write in a percentage royalty profit to be paid directly to him/her if the book should be published, and also for other rights to profit if a movie, television series, etc. should happen.

You probably will not receive permission though-- it is RARE.

I would change my idea and go all original characters in my book. Less complications and more security for you.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett