Writing Books/co writers and copyrights

I wrote a fiction short story that I developed with another aspiring writer friend - we copyrighted the story together.  We're no longer on speaking terms and I want to develop the story into a full length novel using some new ideas I have.  I have no problem giving the other writer credit for development of the story and any fair profits because of that but I don't know what the legalities are.  If I write the entire novel on my own and it sells - what does the other writer get?  Any and all help you can provide in this would be most appreciated.

Since you and the co-author only copyrighted the "story" that is all the co-author is entitled to get credit for.

If you take that story and write a novel from it-- it is your, not the co-author's.

You DO NOT have to get credit to the co-author of the story, on your own novel that is simply "based" on the story idea.

It belongs to you.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.