Writing Books/what publishers are looking for

QUESTION: Hi, As a first time writer with lots of book ideas how do I get advice from agents on what publishers are particularly looking for, or on wether my ideas are even worth writing about?

ANSWER: You do not "get" advice from agents-- you hire them, or rather, they accept you.

Once an agent accepts you as a client, he sends your manuscript off to appropriate publishers.

Most traditional publishers only accept manuscripts from agents-- they do not accept unsolicited manuscripts (with an agent).

Look for an agent that specializes in your genre.

QUESTION: Is there a website that can assist in searching for an agent?
Thanks Sean

A good place to be sure of an agent is:

(Preditors & Editors is a reliable source of do's and dont's for writers)

Another valuable source:

A good site for BAD agents:

Alphabetical listings:

When you are researching one, look at the sites to see if they are on the list or not, then, if they are reputable, visit their site to see their policy about querying them.

A reputable literary agent DOES NOT charge.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.