Writing Books/writing a book

Question
We are writing a fictious story and are using fictious characters but want to know if you can use actual towns, cities, places, etc. or do they have to be fictious as well. We welcome your answer. Thanks, LIL

Answer
Hello Lil,

You CAN use real towns and cities; but not actual companies and businesses. That would be liable.

You can use trademarks such as McDonald's when referring to a character getting a hamburger, as long as it's in a favorable light and not negative. You can use these trademarks integrating them into the character's daily life while NOT denoting any negatives toward that trademark.

Stephen King and Dean R. Koontz both use real towns and cities. King is New England- Maine, and Koontz is California.

Be sure to research your characters "names" within the town and cities you base him in-- you wouldn't want a real "Joe Blow" to live there.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett