Writing Books/Classifying the maturity level of a novel...

I'm currently working on a novel that I'm not sure how to classify yet, but it's most likely a dark romance.

The problem that I'm having is how to rate the book. I'm not sure when or where an adult novel crosses over to erotica or when it counts as pornography. Is there any clear definitive between these categories?

No, there really isn't a clear distinction between these things.  You'll find that what qualifies as erotica to one publisher would be considered pornography by another.

For this sort of thing, the best advice I can give is to look into the publishers who handle adult/erotica novels and see what their guidelines are.  By this, I mean looking them up in Writer's Market or similar books and seeing what they handle, and also looking at some of the actual books published by these companies, to get a feel for the type of material they handle.  

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.