Writing Books/Grammar question

Question
Dear Dorothy,
I am writing a book and I have a question-- or maybe a few questions. I don't understand how to go into a quote for a character for an adult fictional story. Is there a proffesional way of putting in a quote or is it "anyway goes"? For example: "Hello, "Fox said to the bird, "how are you today?" or the fox said, "Hello, how are you today?" or is it any way I prefer or is there a standard?

Answer
Hello Aaron,

There is no professional way...just a choice of more than one correct way. Either way you demonstrated would be correct. It would be your choice how to say it, but it is not anyway goes.  Just make sure your quotation marks are in the right place.  You can check out your grammar rules in any English Grammar text.

Best wishes,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris