Writing Books/how best to handle characters traveling in countries where they do not speak the language

Question
i'm working on a novel in which the characters travel to a country where they do not speak the language, so they hire a guide/translator.  i want to show the experience through the eyes of a foreigner and have it ring true, but obviously i don't want the reader to get bored by constantly describing an action or tone of a speaker then having it translated by the guide/translator character.

i feel like i'm finding a good balance and keeping it readable, but i would really love any advice on how best to handle this.

also, do you know of any novels that have done this well?

thanks for your time!

Answer
You're on the right track to think in terms of moderation and balance. An occasional foreign word or phrase that the translator explains would be interesting, but giving the foreign sentence and English translation every time would bore readers. I like the idea of the native performing the action and the translator explaining. I would be captured, for example if  a scene showed a native waving his hands and pointing, and the translator saying, “He says we can't catch a taxi here; we have to walk down to the next corner.” As a creative writer, though, I would not use the same method of showing the speaker's action and telling the translation every time. Always avoid patterns. Sometimes the foreigner can try to guess what the speaker is trying to say. Sometimes the translation can be given in narrative. Sometimes it should be word for word and at other times paraphrased, as in my example. Vary the techniques, and the content will stay interesting to readers.

Offhand no specific novels come to mind as outstanding examples, but The Broker by John Grisham does a fairly good job with the use of foreign words.

Be sure to go to www.zebraeditor.com and sign up for my free newsletter for writers. I wish you much success with your novel.

Yours in writing,
Bobbie Christmas

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas