Writing Books/fiction about politics and government

QUESTION: I've read some of your answers regarding the use of real names of people and organizations.  Lots of people write about the "the president" and government.  Can I use a fiction president but refer to real laws that are passed under the fictional  president?  Here's another example, can I say my fiction member of senate helped to pass a real bill and name the real bill? Thank you.

ANSWER: As long as you use fictional character names, you can use a real law, but rename it to a fictional name.

QUESTION: Thanks!  One more thought: what is I am writing about real historical events, such the black power movement or the "red scare" of the 50's. I assume I can name the event in history and have my characters involved in the real events, but can make up the cause of the real event? For example, can I make up who really started the black power movement or make up an incident that really caused the great depression, for example. Thanks Again.

I would not use the title/name of the real event. This is a fiction genre, and any "real and true" names, places, events, locations, etc. are recorded and real.

There are people in history, therefore, when you actually name the historical event, you are involving the real people that was involved.

Also, your readers might associate a real person with that event, and all of this opens the door to liabilities.

Since real people are part of our history, you will involve them in a matter of speaking and they, or their descendants can sue you.

Use the event, but change its name.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.