Writing Books/first-person

Question
Hey Bobbie I had a quick question

I'm currently writing a book from the point of view of one character and he tells the entire story but is it alright to have some of the other characters deliever dialogue? For example when the character is recounting a story is it okay to take the reader to the actual locaton of the stroy then have the characters deliver their dialouge?

And what is "firs-person plural" I heard its really hard to use this method of narration.

THANKS SOO MUCH

Tony

Answer
Although you can have someone telling your main character what was said outside his presence, believe me, you don’t want to get into a whole lot of double and single quotation marks. Think of normal dialogue. When you tell a friend what someone else says, you usually paraphrase a large portion of it, rather than doing a whole lot of quoting. Here’s a natural piece of dialogue as an example:

“You want to know what happened? I’ll tell you. Sam told me to close the door, and I was ticked off, so I slammed it. He said, ‘What the hell did you do that for?’ and I told him I didn’t like being told what to do.

Below is an example of what you want to avoid, because it becomes unwieldy after a while:

“You want to know what happened? I’ll tell you. Sam told me, ‘Close the door,” and I was ticked off, so I slammed it. He said, ‘What the hell did you do that for?’ and I told him, ‘I don’t like being told what to do.’”

If your main character is the only point-of-view character, you cannot actually go to another location and show dialogue as it took place, you can only have someone who was there tell your main character what happened.

First person plural is looked down upon in narration; it uses the pronouns “we” and “us” instead of first person singular, which relies on pronouns such as “I” and “me.”  Of course in first person singular if something happens to a group that includes the narrator, an occasional use of “we” or “us” would be appropriate. See the following example.

The guard ushered Sam and me into a small room and told us to disrobe. We looked at each other in dismay, but obeyed.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas