Writing Books/required permission for locale

First, thank you for your valuable time. I am currently writing a fiction novel about a girl named Fae who is half human and half fairy. Without going into large amounts of detail that are not pertinent to the question, my problem is as follows. I have chosen a real locale for my characters to live and the majority of the story to be told. I am using real street names and geographical landmarks. This I don't think is an issue. However, I would like to use one of the local high schools as a setting, as many of my main characters are high school age, and a decent portion of the story will take place in said high school. Is it possible to write or email the principal of said school, or the local school board, in order to obtain permission to use the schools name in my story? I only wish to use the Schools name, and maybe its team name or mascot. I do not plan to use real names, exact addresses, phone numbers, or any detailed information about the school itself, or any faculty or students. In theory , I will be using the name, but everything else would be a creation of my own. Is this a liability or illegal? If I contact the principal or school board and receive permission to use the name, does that remove the liability? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you again.

Using the real name of a school is a liability. They have patented their name and mascot.

IF you can get permission in writing, it is legal with their permission.

But you won't get their permission.

Schools are owned by the city's school district and complicated.

It would also put students in danger to perverts and psychopaths.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.