Writing Books/Compiling material for my project.

Dear Susan,
I've been toying around the idea of creating a book based on information received from the American public. Without giving too much away,this compilation would revolve around the American lifestyle past verses present. It may include photos sent to me. The only way I think I can receive my research would be through the internet. But how? Would I need to have a website created? How can I attract the public to want to give me their imput, or get them to even see/respond to the website? I intend to include their name if I use it and give them a copy should my project every get to print. I don't make enough money to get a big beautiful website, complete with catagories - although it would be great. Any advice on creating a compilation style book? Thank you.

Hello Charlie:

You do not need a website to gather this material, but I don't see how you are going to contact people who may be interested in contributing without one. You would either have to advertise in newspapers or get together a mailing list, which would constitute spam. hosts websites for very little money, and has many quite professional looking templates to choose one.

I have no particular advice for creating this type of book; I deal with the writing itself. You can probably get information on that either on the Net or at your local library, also, lots of information about how things were done in the past.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900 questions.

And good luck with your book!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication