Writing Books/Part of the Writing Process

Question
I'm writing a novel right now. It's an adventure/horror/comedy/romance novel. The thing is when I first got the idea for this novel, I jumped right in. I didn't go through the whole writing process. So I never had an outline. It's all in my head, really. I do know how the story is going to end and pretty much everything else.It's just that sometimes I find myself wandering.

It's not to late to make an outline if it's necessary. But the question is; is it really necessary? And for that matter, will it bite me in the butt later if I don't go through the proper process now?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi, Chelsie!

I'm not sure who told  you that there's a "proper process" for writing novels, but you'll be happy to know there isn't! You're more than welcome to write the whole book without a single note. About half of the authors on the shelves today do that very thing. Now, if you WANT to write an outline, that's fine too. But there's no requirement to do so. Does that help? :D

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp