Writing Books/Protagonist&Antagonist

The new show nurse Jackie makes me ask this question. Can a single character or lead character be both Protagonist&Antagonist?

Sure.  Since you mentioned TV shows, I'll point to another one: Frasier.  Frasier Crane is the lead character in the show, and he's his own worst enemy (just as many of us are).  Quite frequently, when something good is about to happen to him, he himself is the one who screws it up... due to his own neuroses.

Of course, it's also possible to do it in other ways.  To go to an extreme, you could have a character with a split-personality, one of whom is doing things to mess with the other.  Maybe not the best idea, but it could work.  

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.