Writing Books/Use of School's Name in Fiction

Question
QUESTION: I would appreciate your help in understanding whether I can use the name of a state school in my novel. For example, would it be illegal to write about a fictitious incident at the University of Alaska or a real junior college? Thanks for your help!

ANSWER: Carol:

No problem doing that at all.  Real schools are used all the time in fiction.

QUESTION: I really appreciate your response to my question. Is there any way possible that you can give me a few examples of authors using real schools in fiction? Any book titles would be great. Once again, thanks  for your help!

Answer
Well, I recall Philip Roth's protagonist in Goodbye, Columbus had attended Penn State.  This sticks out, I think, because that's where I went to school.  There are many  more, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

I'd like to add a caveat to my previous reply.  

While featuring an actual school is perfectly legal, you  might want to ask yourself why you need to.  If the event you're planning to portray is a bad one (say, a school shooting, or some sort of scandal), you might be better off using a fictional school.  This way, you'd be able to do without worrying if people would be upset in any way by it.

If, however, you're just planning to mention a school that a character attends, using a real one can add a layer of realism to your fiction.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales