Writing Books/Using Mythology in fiction

I am currently working on a piece of writing - romance - and am using Greek mythology heavily in my work. However, the more I research, the more I realize a lot of my ideas do not fit in with the mythology. How far can I stretch ancient myths to fit my work? How historically accurate should I be? For example, parentage of particular nymphs, the timeline, etc.

Thank you so much for your help

Hi, Zoe!

Stretch them as far as you like! Just make your *characters* aware of the current myth---then have them tell the reader (probably through dialogue with other characters) why the myths are WRONG and the version in your book is RIGHT. Readers love that sort of stuff. Just make it logical and don't jump around between pantheons (like, don't call one character Jupiter---a Roman name, and another Aphrodite---a Greek name.) You'll be fine and the more you play around with the mythology, the better people will like it. :)

Good luck!

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.