Writing Books/Any opinion or advice for me?

I have posted samples of my work online. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you are willing to give. There is no nees for an in-depth response. I will be satisfied with any general impressions.

Donít be concerned about hurting my feelings. Love it or hate it. Itís all the same to me. Iím looking for any feedback. Be it good, bad, or ugly.

One small note:  This detective story is a parody. Itís cheesy, clichť, and over the top. It is intended to be. With that caveat in mind read and laugh.

This is my current project:

Please, feel free to read and comment on either or both. Thank you.

Best wishes,

As a full-time editor who gets paid to read manuscripts and evaluate them, I don't read manuscripts or evaluate them free. I hope you can understand.

Regardless of my policy, I did take the time to glance at the opening paragraphs of the story. The noir style, while cute and even clever in spots, may not be contemporary enough to sell today, but then I'm not an agent or a publisher, so it's just an opinion.

I stopped reading when I kept seeing technical flaws that could be fixed by an editor.

Many others who don't make a living evaluating manuscripts will give you free feedback, I'm sure, but remember it's worth only what you pay for it!

Sign up for my free newsletter for writers at I wish you much success with your writing.

--Bobbie Christmas

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas

Book Doctor Bobbie Christmas owns Zebra Communications, a book-editing firm in metro Atlanta. She not only edits books, she also helps writers power up their prose to increase their chances of success. She is the author of Write In Style (Union Square Publishing), a creative-writing guide that won three awards.

Bobbie has spent more than 40 years in the publishing and communications industry and has run Zebra Communications, a book-editing company, since 1992. The editor of many publications and periodicals, she has worked with book publishers and trade magazine publishers as well as working in marketing communications and corporate communications.

Past president, Georgia Writers Association; past vice president, South Carolina Writers Workshop; charter/lifelong member, Florida Writers Association; Southeastern Writers Association; Atlanta Writers Club; Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL); International Guild of Professional Consultants

Write in Style (Union Square Publishing), A Cup of Comfort (Adams Media Corporation), A Cup of Comfort for Friends (Adams Media), A Cup of Comfort for Mothers and Sons (Adams Media), Haunted Engounters (Atriad Press), Remembering Woolworth's (St. Martin's Press), First-Time Home Buyer magazine, HomeBusiness Journal, Apparel Industry Magazine, Edge Magazine, Atlanta Jewish Times, Time Travel Australia, American Writers Review, Points North, That's Entertainment, Atlanta Parent, Agnes Scott Alumnae Magazine, etc.

Journalism: University of South Carolina plus four decades of working in publishing, marketing, communications, advertising, newspaper and magazine production, book publishing, etc.

First Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers Annual Contest, 2005; First Place, education, Royal Palm Literary Award, 2004; Best in Division, Georgia Author of the Year Awards, 2005; Finalist, Best Books 2005, USA BookNews Third Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers, 1999; Nominated for Georgia Author of the Year, 1998; plus many other awards

Capital Books, Sourcebooks, Olin Frederick, The Writer's Machine, Russell Dean & Company, Outskirts Press, and hundreds of writers.