Writing Books/real life story not mine

Question
How can I write a story about a real person, places, and events and have it be a work of fiction?

Answer
Hi, Darlene!

The only way to make real events into fiction is to fictionalize them. By that, I mean that you'll have to change important details to make them NOT real life. Not just names and places, but some of the details of the events. Yes, truth is stranger than fiction, but fiction doesn't require releases from people who were involved. If a person would be able to recognize him/herself, or the details of the events could embarrass or humiliate them publicly, then a publisher will have to think long and hard about publishing it. But if you change a man into a woman in the real event, and change WHY the event happened, then you're a step closer to calling it fiction.

Does that help any?  Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp