Writing Books/synopsis

i have just finished writing my first book in what i think will be a trilogy, it will definitely be at least two books and i was wondering when writing a synopsis letter for the agent about the book do i outline the entire story that will cover the books or do i focus on the first part the one that is written and say that it will be continued in another book? what is the right way to write it?

Hi, Naomi!

First, congratulations on finishing your first book! That's a milestone all by itself. :) It's best to sell one book at a time. Focus on just that book in your query and synopsis. Once you have an agent or editor, THEN is the time to mention there's another in the wings. Keep writing the second book, but make absolutely certain that all of the primary plot threads in book one wrap up completely---just in case the publisher doesn't want another in that same reality, or if the first book doesn't do well on the shelf.

Most good agents will try to sell a "two-book" deal, for the book the editor reads, plus one more. Whether that's the sequel or something completely different will be up to the editor.

Hope that helps a little, and good luck! :D

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.