Writing Books/having trouble with plot

I have written 16 chapters in my fiction story and its about a girl who is surrounded by vampires, dragons,shapeshifters, etc. and she has these powers but she doesn't know how to use them or where they came from. I know how I want it to end but the more I look at my story I think my climax comes to late. So what I'm asking is when is the lastest I should have the climax come in.

Hello Taylor:

Congratulations on finishing 16 chapters of yur book!

I am having a little trouble understanding "I think my climax comes to [sic] late." Too late for what?

The climax comes at the end of the story, when all the action has been completed, all the plots and subplots have been resolved, all the loose ends have been tied up, your heroine has failed or succeeded in achieving her goal, and you are ready for the story to end.

After the climax, the story should end as soon as possible. Anything that happens afterward belongs in a sequal.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication