Writing Books/Using quotes in books

Question
QUESTION: Hello:  I am writing a book that occasionally references scenes from movies - and I need to insert quotes.  Example:

Kay Adams: How did he do that?
Michael: My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Kay Adams: What was that?
Michael: Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains or his signature would be on the contract.

My question:  Do I need permission from anybody to do this?  Is this a copyright issue in any way?  Thank you very much.  Larry

ANSWER: Hi, Larry!

Yes, this is a copyright issue, and yes, you would need permission to quote this the way you have it here.

That said, however, you can certainly insert popular culture references in a book as fair use. It just needs to be PARAPHRASED as dialogue between your characters. For example:

Bob: "Yeah, it's like that scene from that movie with Marlon Brando [or whatever actor played the role] where he tells the girl that his father made him an offer he couldn't refuse. He could either sign the contract or get his brains blown out. I think we have the same thing here."

Mary. "Oh . . . yeah. Ouch."

Readers are pretty smart. They'll recognize the scene and won't care that it's not exact wording. Half of the time, the READER won't remember the exact quote. If they do, you're paraphrasing, so no harm, no foul. :)

Hope that helps!  Good luck.

Cathy

QUESTION: Cathy:  Thank you very much.  I trust your expertise, but I have a source of confusion.  I have in my hand a book about movies that contains quite a few exact quotes; things like the whole Travis Bickle thing in Taxi Driver (You talkin' to me?).  The book is The Movies That Changed Us by Nick Clooney.  I also have other books on the shelf that contain direct quotes from films.  How do they get away with this?  Larry

Answer
Hi, again, Larry!

Sorry, I was under the impression you were writing a novel where quotes appeared. Non-fiction books *about* movies can fall into a different part of the fair use act. Is your books likewise non-fiction? Of course, it's quite possible that the books about movies on your shelf DID request and receive copyright permission. I'd suggest you read the requirements for fair use on the U.S. Copyright Office's webpage. They actually have a terrific FAQ page and it would be worth answering your question at the source.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html#howmuch

Hope that helps! :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp