Writing Books/novel length/publishing

I have started to write a novel with just Microsoft word. I have very little writing experience out of high school. If and when I do finish this novel, how should I go about finding a publisher? I mean I've seen many young writers prosper and find fame and fortune, but I'm not really after that. The story itself is what I want people to remember. I'm sure you hear this quite a bit.

My story is fiction. Also, since it is very simple writing technique, I see it more focused towards teenagers. The story focuses in on an older teenaged girl trying to find peace away from her hometown after her sister is dies. How she dies isn't important but the main character now hates her older sister for this. The main character leaves the city and tries to find peace.

My other question is whether or not to have a prologue. At the moment i do, but I don't know why I put it as such. That's all for now. Thanks.

Hello Ryan:

It is waaay too early to worry about publishing. First you need to finish your novel, making sure it is the very best work you are capable of. This may take months or maybe years. Many authors work two or four years or longer on a novel.

Whether you have a prologue or not is up to you, but in general prologues are discouraged, and if you don't know why you wrote it, it probably isn't necessary. See if you can work the information there into the bulk of the story.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900 questions.

And good luck with your novel!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication