Writing Books/query letter

In the book "On Writing" by Stephen King he has an example made up  query letter where someone writes that they have had their fiction published in non paying or small paying magazines. (listing mag and being paid in copies or small cash, etc)
So I send short shorts to small magazines (non paying)
What do you think on this and if so, how might I put it on query, do I have to state lack of payment?

ANSWER: Hey, Demetrius.

Following King's sample query is fine, but by no means do you need to mention anything whatsoever about payment.  Any sort of legit publication is worth including in the query.

So I just write "I have had fiction published in "Blah Blah Magazine"? Do I include dates or anything else? (Should it look something like a resume) How might you do it?

I don't personally think publication dates are necessary, no.  I'd say something like:

My short fiction has appeared in XYZ Magazine, Blah Monthly, and Wurdz Weekly.  I have had poetry published in RhymeThyme, VerSays, and Couplet Quarterly.

In my opinion, a query should read more like a letter than a resume.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.