Writing Books/Format

I have read hundreds of articles on formatting a manuscript, almost all say to use courier size 12 or times new roman size twelve, they say that if your writing a normal book the words per page will end up being around two hundred for a manuscript. mine are usually three fifty, is this way over the mark?

Hi Josiah,

I agree with what you wrote. Most books are set at Times New Roman 12 pitch.  A book can be as long as it takes to tell the story.  200-220 pages is about average.  However, some literary novels are 400 or more pages.  

You can check with the printer who prints your book or your editor or literary agent for the "exact" settings for your book before it is printed.  Printers have specific margin, etc. guidelines that work best with their printing machines.

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who