Writing Books/Specific University Names in fiction

Question
I have a fictional character who is a Psychology professor in a book I am writing.  Is there liability in having this character work at a well-known university and/or specifying the name of the campus building where this professor works?  Is it best just to make up a college and describe it as a major university?  Any input would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.

Answer
Using the real identity of a university, when a character is employed there, is a liability. If a real professor where to say it is him, you open up liability.

The university owns property rights to their name, logo, and all associated with it. It is a copyright infringement to their ownership.

You cannot use them, unless it is a brief reference in a good light, meaning simply saying a character passed the university on his way to... or something as simple as that. Much like referring to a trademarked restaurant that a character ate at.

When using a trademarked identity, one must remember that it is owned and cannot be infringed upon.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett