Writing Books/Thriller and Prose

Hi Cathy, I have just made a decision to try to write some books. I am an avid reader of the Thriller/Suspense genre thus want to give it a try fro several books. I've come up with ideas and written down notes. As time has gone by, I've written more notes and am just itching to give it a try. I need a few more books to read specifically with multiple protagonists and antagonists in one book. I need to read the style. Do you have any recommendations in this genre?

Secondly, is there any book I can read as a kind of tutorial that can assist in the intricacies of prose?

Thank you for your help.

Pretty much any book by Robert Ludlum or David Baldacci would suit your purposes. They both use multiple protagonists (Ludlum can use up to 7 protagonists in a single book).

I'm not quite sure how to answer your second question. There are any number of good quality books on the writing process out there. If you look in the self-help, writing section of your bookstore or library, you'll find a bunch of them. Is there a particular aspect of writing you're struggling with? Narrative, description, plotting or dialogue? Different books cover different things.

Good luck!

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.