Writing Books/Using people's names in nonfiction

Question
Hi, Jamie. I have written a biography of a large period of my life, during which I was a Zoo Keeper at a real zoo. The book is entirely true and accurate events that happened. It is also friendly and not malicious. Can I mention people's names in this book, as a memoir? (By the way there are no publishers lined up to publish. At current time I expect the book will be distributed to friends and family.) So, for example, if I tell the story of a funny thing that happened to me and real people, can I put the names of these people in the book? This book is novel-length and written in the style of a "non-fiction novel." Thank you. Adam

Answer
Hello Adam,

It sounds delightful.

In order to use people's real names, you would need their legal permission- through a literary attorney. Most people want percent of royalties from the sale.

Or, simply create fictitious names and go with that to be safe from liability,

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett