Writing Books/View Points

Question
How many view points is one authorized to include in a book?

Answer
Hi, Berni!

I saw your question in the question pool and thought I'd help. There's no particular REQUIRED number of POVs. But for most genres of writing, you can comfortably include up to five. Much more than that and it's hard to stuff in enough detail to keep the reader involved in the personalities of the individual characters within the space limitations of a standard novel of 100K words. The only real exception to that rule is romance. Then, the max is really three. Hero, heroine and (if you choose) villain, if there is one--like romantic suspense, or paranormal.

Does that help?

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp