Writing Books/Do I need information release forms?

Question
I am currently working on a non-fiction manuscript based on a triple homicide that occurred in my hometown. My question is, do I need to have the people that I interview fill out "Release of Information" forms in order to use their statements in my book?

Answer
Hi, Lisa!

I saw your question in the pool and thought I'd try to help. The answer is that you really don't want an answer to this question that you might find here. You're asking a legal question, and the only answer that's going to be beneficial to you is one that an attorney gives AFTER knowing the details of your particular situation. I'd suggest you direct your question to an intellectual property or entertainment attorney in your area. The best site to find one is at Martindale-Hubbell, at: http://www.martindale.com You can search by region and specialty.

If you can't afford an attorney, there are a lot of attorneys who DONATE their services to artists and authors, or at least offer them at low cost. You can find a list in your area at:  http://www.starvingartistslaw.com/help/volunteer%20lawyers.htm

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp