Writing Books/promoting a book

Hi. When a writer is promoting a book, are they usually doing one on one interviews or are they participating in expos and things like that? Thanks

To promote the book, a writer must do it all. Anything and everything. If it is not a self-published book and there is a traditional publisher, there are probably agreements in the contract about promoting. Review it and talk with the publisher. There might be certain things the author is not allowed to do or is directly responsible for.

Most publishers assist in the promoting because it increases their sales and revenues. The more successful the book, the more money they get. The publisher has money tied up in printing the book, and the author's revenues have to repay that -- it's in the contract. The author won't make a net profit until the advance is repaid and the printing cost are settled. This is why authors don't get rich, unless you are Stephen King and Dean R. Koontz-- who both have years and years invested and past that first few years of struggle.

A writer should have a personal author website promoting the book with excerpts and links to the bookstores that it can be ordered from Online, and a PayPal buy now button to purchase the book directly from the website.

The author should have links in their email signature, do book signings at bookstores, expos, send the book either by mail or email attachment (e-book form) to be reviewed by others and/or ask them to buy and review, and use the reader reviews on the author website.

Contact local newspapers for author interview, and book reviews to promote locally. Contact book reviewers (New York Times, etc. to review the book and that gains public attention and gets credibility.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.