Writing Books/editing a manuscript

Question
Hi. How much writing/rewriting does an editor do when it comes to manuscripts? Are they there to just guide the author's original idea, or to change it? Thanks

Answer
Danielle,
There is no set "how much" of editing and rewriting is required to edit a manuscript properly.

It all depends on the quality of the writer.

Is the writer well-educated and writes almost near-perfect? A seasoned writer? Or a beginner? Does the writer know proper grammar, proper sentence structure, passive voice versus aggressive voice? There are variables to consider.

A beginning writer will make many, many mistakes and require a lot of extensive editing.

A seasoned writer will not. It will be "cutting the fat" and detailed editing to improve the book, not correct "mistakes."

It is not a guide.

There are no guides.

If you misspell, the spell checker will catch it, unless you've written "there" to mean "their" and spellings such as those. If it's sentence structure, it only catches some and not all.

There isn't any built-in method of content and proper and quality placement of the plot and subplots.

Actually Danielle, if you have to ask that question, then you are a beginner and do not yet know all the mechanics of writing. That is okay, every writer begins at the beginning.

I suggest in order to learn the answers to proper editing and all it entails, to join an Online writers group/workshop.

There are paid ones and free ones.

More seasoned writers can assist you in critiquing your work and to learn by those suggestions through your mistakes.

You will learn invaluable information about writing and as a result, learn how to edit properly as you go.

Good luck.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett