Writing Books/To end quote or not to end quote... that, is the question...

Question
Hello,

I'm writing a baseball scene as described through the voice of a radio broadcaster.  My character is describing the action on the field.  He has a running dialog that often goes on from paragraph to paragraph.  Question:  Since it's dialog, I use quotation marks.  When I end one paragraph, I've NOT been closing the quotation, however, when I start a new paragraph, I start a fresh quotation mark.  My thinking is that it's the same guy speaking.  Is this the correct way to do this?

Best Regards,

JD

Answer
Hello JD,
You don't begin with an opening quotation mark unless you've ended with one.

Even though he is an announcer, you must write pauses and descriptives between dialog.

You can't just have him continuously speaking/announcing- it wouldn't work. The writer must write some third-person narrative describing the scene and everything required.

But open and close each dialog.  

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett