Writing Books/liability - non fiction writing

Question
Hi Jannie -

I am a young teacher who is just starting my second year of teaching special education teacher.  I am thinking about writing a book based on my first year of teaching - the ups and downs - mistakes I made, etc...

However, my question is that a lot of my "funny moments" involve my kids.  What is the liability for telling stories about these students, or funny things that they say if I don't use their real names.  For example, if a students real name is Bob, but throughout the book I talk about the funny things "Steve" said do I need to obtain permission?

Thanks!

Answer
No, you won't have a problem.

When you refer to one of your students that said this or did that, you can simply say "one of my students" or "one of my students, I'll call "Steve"...........

That is acceptable and does not hold any liability for you as the author/teacher.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett