Writing Books/new author

Question
Hi. Can you tell me what is considered successful for a book by a new author? Is 250,000 copies sold completely unrealistic for a first book? Thanks

Answer
Hi, Danielle!

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been deep into edits on our next book and forgot to put myself on vacation mode here.

250K is an AMAZING debut for a new author, even for a major house. It's not completely unrealistic if the book takes off. But for a regular release, yeah. It doesn't happen very often.  "Successful" depends a lot on your format and the genre/category (for example, you don't say whether it's a novel or non-fiction you're writing.) A successful hardback debut might only sell 10,000, where the very same book in mass market paperback could sell through a first print run of 50,000 or 100,000. Again, so much depends on the book and the publisher. Obviously, the more advance money the publisher paid the author, the more likely they'll try to print a lot of copies to recoup their investment. But, again, there are the "Twilight"s of the world that just spring up and catch the public's imagination. It does happen, but *expecting* it could set you up for a disappointment.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp