Writing Books/promotional tours

Hi. When a new author is promoting a book do they have the right to refuse to do certain interviews if they feel uncomfortable with a certain media outlet? Or, are they obligated to just go and talk to whomever the publishing companies sends them to in order to promote the book? Thanks

That's usually outlined in the publishing contract between the publisher and author.

There are different sections and clauses.

One clause is promotions.

Contracts are usually rewritten 2-3 times before an author obtains what he or she wants. Never sign the first contract a publisher presents, and always have an agent who provides the literary attorney.

So, if the author is covered in the contract and has to agree first concerning interviews, the author has the sole right to refuse an interview, or interviews, with certain entities, and can say "no." This will be a clause.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.