Writing Books/writing fiction using actual locations

Question
I am attempting my first fiction novel. I am taking an online creative writing class and reading all the research material I can get my hands on. I am however concerned about the location/s of my story. Is it ok to use real cities, counties, sheriffs offc, hospitals, freeways etc. I cant seem to get a straight answer on this.

Answer
Hi, Donna!

You may certainly use real cities, counties and freeways. It's done every day. But the trick with using real sheriff's offices and hospitals is that real people work there. It starts to get complicated to know the real-life rules and regulations that people there work by and if you get them wrong...let's say it can be a problem.

That said, most every writer does it, and so long as you don't say bad things or make allegations about stupid or incompetent people, it's seldom critical. What a lot of us do is actually CONTACT the business you want to use and ask questions. Often, there's a media person on staff that can answer general questions about the proper procedures to write in the book and grant permission to use the actual name of the business. Otherwise, it might be easier to create a brand new hospital that you can play with that's just down the road ("just built") from the real one, or add a layer of governmental hierarchy to the county. (LOL! Like there aren't enough entities already!)

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask any more questions if I didn't quite answer what you needed to know. :)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp