Writing Books/Lip Puffing

Question
In 2006, you asked a sleep expert about an unusual early phase sleep sound; that of lip popping or pop-pop-popping. The expert opined that this was a form of purse lip breathing. You followed up and correctly pointed out that purse lip breathing is a voluntary, AWAKE phenomenon. However, you could not find any further references to lip popping.

Lip popping has figured prominently in a discussion I am having with the National Transportation Safety Board. I am a physician in Baltimore and I have made a serious, detailed proposal to the NTSB, asking them to reconsider the Probable Cause of a major jetliner crash in 2002 in which all three crew members survived(cargo flight, crew of three only, no passengers) and in which fatigue was sited as a major contributory factor. My proposal is that the fatigue was far worse than recognized, and that in fact, the pilot flying was actually asleep during some portion of the final thirty minutes of the flight. This theory is based on the recording on the pilot's open "hot" mike of several episodes of irregular breathing known as "periodic breathing", and numerous examples of unusually loud exhalations that, when graphed, looked like a lip pop or popping, both of which are early phase sleeping phenomena. The Board has rejected my theory.

I am currently composing my rebuttal yet I have found no reference to lip puffing or popping save yours. Have you possibly come across and relevant information.

Thanks so much, Steve

Answer
Hello Steve,

This has nothing to do with creative writing but I will reply anyway.

If your crew members gave evidence of "lip popping" it could easily have been due to inebriation as well as fatigue.  The lip popping is not a symptom of fatigue only.  Lip popping is not always accompanied by periodic breathing. It can be quite regular and constant. I know from the experience of listenting to my husband. He breathes in through his nose and then breathes out through his closed mouth, causing the lip popping. He does it whether drinking or sober, fatigued or not. There is no sleep apnea to go along with the lip popping. I think it is a habit more than anything else.

I would also reject your theory.  

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris