Writing Books/Personalities.

Question
I am a young writer, and sadly I have a hard time describing a character's personality. I can describe them vividly; my family and friends say they see the character in their heads as if I was showing them a picture, but they say it's a little stale because they don't know what the character is like. They can't tell if the person is a over-confident jerk, a drama queen, a polite person, etc. If it helps at all, my manuscript is a narrator using me, myself, and I. The main character narrates in past tense.  

Answer
Hello Jake,

Too much verbal description will not go over well.  You must allow the character's actions and dialogue to show who he is.  As a matter of fact, you must allow that character to show who he is.  Also too much naration and little action and dialogue will also not go over well.  You may use naration to introduce a scene, but then go into action and dialogue.

The same applies to descriping appearance.  Instead of saying "she had red hair", you can say "as she ran her fingers through her hair in frustration, the copper tendrils gleamed in the light from the lantern".   Get the idea?  

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris