Writing Books/Writing book

I've had  a challenging life and have turned it around. I have had several people tell me I need to write a book. Life  brief history: birth, great life, death of twin sister, drugs, homeless jail, and recovery and the blessings I have received. People can't believe me when i tell them my story. I don't care much for making a lot of money. But i have for years thought about writing one. What do you think? Should I share my story? It would be a biography. Hope i have made myself clear.

First, just so you will know, a biography is a book written about someone else’s life. A book about your own life is called an autobiography. Although most successful writers spend quite some time learning their craft and practicing it before they can eventually write a marketable book, some autobiographies have captured the interest of publishers. Should you write your story? Of course! Anyone with a story to tell should write it. Can you sell it to a publisher? Who knows? You won’t know, either, until it is written, polished, edited, and shopped around to agents or publishers. It is difficult to sell a book to a publisher, but books get sold to publishers every day, and yours may hit the right spot with someone; you never know. In the meantime, once you have written the book and polished it, you will have it for your relatives and offspring forever, and such a gift across generations is always appreciated.

Your best bet is to start writing and learning the craft of writing, so as you go along, your writing will improve and become more marketable. For a start, subscribe to my free newsletter for writers at www.zebraeditor.com.  

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas

Book Doctor Bobbie Christmas owns Zebra Communications, a book-editing firm in metro Atlanta. She not only edits books, she also helps writers power up their prose to increase their chances of success. She is the author of Write In Style (Union Square Publishing), a creative-writing guide that won three awards.

Bobbie has spent more than 40 years in the publishing and communications industry and has run Zebra Communications, a book-editing company, since 1992. The editor of many publications and periodicals, she has worked with book publishers and trade magazine publishers as well as working in marketing communications and corporate communications.

Past president, Georgia Writers Association; past vice president, South Carolina Writers Workshop; charter/lifelong member, Florida Writers Association; Southeastern Writers Association; Atlanta Writers Club; Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL); International Guild of Professional Consultants

Write in Style (Union Square Publishing), A Cup of Comfort (Adams Media Corporation), A Cup of Comfort for Friends (Adams Media), A Cup of Comfort for Mothers and Sons (Adams Media), Haunted Engounters (Atriad Press), Remembering Woolworth's (St. Martin's Press), First-Time Home Buyer magazine, HomeBusiness Journal, Apparel Industry Magazine, Edge Magazine, Atlanta Jewish Times, Time Travel Australia, American Writers Review, Points North, That's Entertainment, Atlanta Parent, Agnes Scott Alumnae Magazine, etc.

Journalism: University of South Carolina plus four decades of working in publishing, marketing, communications, advertising, newspaper and magazine production, book publishing, etc.

First Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers Annual Contest, 2005; First Place, education, Royal Palm Literary Award, 2004; Best in Division, Georgia Author of the Year Awards, 2005; Finalist, Best Books 2005, USA BookNews Third Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers, 1999; Nominated for Georgia Author of the Year, 1998; plus many other awards

Capital Books, Sourcebooks, Olin Frederick, The Writer's Machine, Russell Dean & Company, Outskirts Press, and hundreds of writers.